04 August 2014

Fish Fingers and Trying Fighting School Holiday Boredom....

This past school holidays were slowly driving me a bit mental. It rained. It was cold. There were next to no playgroups and it was too crappy to go out anyway. So what did we do?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Made Fish Fingers. 

I know. I know. 

Its the bane of so many mum's existence. But honestly, we never have them! So, it quite was a treat! 

We used about 400 grams of fish (I think it was groper) cut into easy to manage strips. 
Put it into a bag with 1/2 cup of flour. Shake it baby! (the boys loved this for about 5 seconds)
In a bowl, I combined equal parts shredded coconut and panko breadcrumbs with a little salt and pepper. Then (without egg, crazy I know!) put the coated fish into the coconut mixture. Press them in thoroughly and make sure it all sticks. It's easiest to do this in batches. Then in a shallow fry pan using grapeseed oil, fry them up until they are golden brown and cooked through. Drain on a towel and squeeze a bit of lime, good to go!


And while this was all going on, I was baking some chips in the oven and making some of my favourite tartar sauce via my childhood memory. I felt like a true mum (or Mom) when I made that. 
Mayo. Relish. Stir. 
It brought a tear to my eye and made desperately miss my Mom back in the states. 
It was a total 80's flashback lunch for me.
And the boys loved it. Especially the tartar sauce. 




Coconut Fish Fingers with Mom's Old School Tartar Sauce


Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Ingredients
  • 400 grams Groper (or any other hardy fish)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • approx 1/3 cup grapeseed oil for frying
  • 2 tbsp mayonaisse
  • 2 tbsp gherkin relish
  • a squeeze of lime
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut the fish into easy to manage strips.
  2. Put the fish strips into a bag with 1/2 cup of flour. Shake shake shake!
  3. In a bowl, combine the coconut and panko breadcrumbs with a little salt and pepper.
  4. Then put the coated fish into the coconut mixture.
  5. Press them in thoroughly and make sure it all sticks. It's easiest to do this in batches.
  6. In a shallow fry pan using grapeseed oil, fry them up until they are golden brown and cooked through.
  7. Drain on a towel and squeeze a bit of lime, good to go!
  8. Mix the mayo and relish together and serve on the side for yummy dipping action.



xx

No comments :

Post a Comment