27 March 2014

Wheat and, even better, Rye Thins!

I'm a bit of a fan of snackie, salty, crackers and chips. I blame my darling mother for my addiction to chippies. All too easily a bag will disappear in a sitting. Crumbs poured into my mouth and everything. It's my Homer Simpson moment. Also, the boys love crackers, and having control over the ingredients makes me feel a little better about the addiction I will probably be handing down to those little men. Let's just say, finding recipes like these are just little highlights to my day. Especially when the come out so well!

My first go was just as the recipe states. They came out great. A little too thick and didn't keep there crunch very long, but tasty nonetheless. I think I needed to roll them a bit thinner.


The next batch I made a few days later, a Rye version. Amazing. And crispy. They didn't last long enough to see about lasting the week, but still crunchy the next day.

Ingredients :

  • 95 g rye flour
  • 60 g whole wheat flour
  • 20 g sugar
  • 3 g salt, plus extra for sprinkling
  • 1/2 tsp caraway seeds plus some for sprinkling
  • 55 g cold butter
  • 60 ml cold water

Method :

In a food processor: Combine the flours, sugar, salt, caraway seeds and butter in a food processor, pulsing the mixture until the butter is evenly disbursed in the crumbs. Drizzle in the 60 ml cold water with the machine running; run it until the mixture begins to form a ball.

Heat your oven to 200C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll your dough out, half at a time, to a large, very, very thin rectangle-ish shape on a well-floured counter. Using a knife or, as I did, a pizza cutter, cut dough into about 1 1/2-inch squares. Prick a few wholes in each one with a toothpick or skewer.

Carefully get the crackers to baking sheets. Sprinkle with the extra salt and caraway seeds. Bake the crackers until crisp and slightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Cool them in their trays on racks and snack away!

Yummy pumpernickel tasty treats! Enjoy!

X

 

 

1 comment :

  1. I visit your blogs and like it very much. I am also from chef background and love to enjoy reading and searching new things. There is a one of my searched sites Visit Now

    ReplyDelete