05 October 2013

Naptime Cooking - Wild Pork Enchiladas

Some days, being a Stay-at-home-Mum is not much different than being a project mananger. You plan your day based on what available time and resources you have. Somedays it's the only way to get through it!

I'll admit it, I love it when the boys are napping! Ahhhh quiet... Ahh the serenity... And then about 5 minutes later, it's a mad rush for me to eat lunch, tidy up quickly and get dinner started, or at least some prep done. (Unless, of course, Jacob is keen to cook, which has been a lot lately! Thank you, dear!)

I have a handful of go-to recipes that I use. I tend to change it up here and there, but the basics remain the same. This is one of my favourites because of how flexible it is...

  • About 1 tsp (or to taste) of each of the following : Cumin, coriander, dried chilli flakes, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper
  • 1 can of tomatoes, chopped or whole, whatever is available
  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 400 grams wild pork mince
  • 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese
  • 6 tortillas (store bought is totally cool. I struggle to make my own tortillas most weeks)

In a mortar and pestle, bash all together until mostly crushed and combined.

Put all the spices and the tomatoes into a pot, stir and simmer through. Once it starts to cook through a bit, add more spice if you like. I usually add a bit more chilli... We like it hot!

While the sauce is simmering, get the meat on!

For this instance, I used about 400g of wild pork mince. I usually use about 350g of chicken thigh cut into small bite sized bits, but you can use whatever you have available. For a vegetarian option, black or refried beans are awesome!

Cook the onions in a well oiled pan until they begin to soften. Add the mince and brown off. If the meat has too much grease, drain on a paper towel and pop back into the pan then add half of the sauce.

Let the flavours combine and then take off the heat.

At this point, I divide the meat in the pan into 6 even portions. Now fill up those tortillas. I add a little bit of cheese to each before I roll them up and pop them into the baking dish.

When all 6 are rolled and in the dish, cover with the remaining sauce and cover the rest of the cheese.


So now it's ready to go. When this goes in the fridge for later, there is that moment of pride, you know the one - oh thank goodness I accomplished something today moment...

Anyway, pop this in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 180C. Let stand for a few minutes before dishing out, top with some avocado, sour cream, and jalapeƱos and dig in!

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment