14 May 2012

Classic Pumpkin Bread

I cannot explain into words how much I love pumpkin in dessert form. Seriously. Pumpkin Pie. *Drool* I know it's probably the good ol' American in me. But I can never pass up a slice of Pumpkin Pie. NEVER! 

(Even though I was HUGELY disappointed with a slice I had over the weekend at one of my favourite places which shall remain nameless for the moment)


But with that, I was happy to know I could come home and dive into some super yummy pumpkin bread! The recipe I found was lovely, but needed a few minor tweaks to make it suitable for metric conversion and for the fact that Canned Pumpkin is something that we can't get here. And BTW, why use canned when making it fresh is SO easy! Seriously!

First off, remove the skin from the pumpkin and cut into small pieces, about 1 cm chunks. Boil in water until tender. Drain the pumpkin and put in a food processor until all the pieces are a lovely puree. See. Easy.

Ingredients : 
425 g pureed pumpkin
4 eggs
235 ml vegetable oil
160 ml water
600 g white sugar
440 g all-purpose flour
9 g baking soda
9 g salt
2 g ground cinnamon
3 g ground nutmeg
1 g ground cloves
0.4 g ground ginger


(I know .4 and 1g of things looks weird. But I use a digital scale when I bake now, and it's spot on! One of the handiest tools in the kitchen! I highly recommend having one.)

Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans. I used one 7x3 and a few mini bundt muffin tins. 

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
And devour.

No comments :

Post a Comment